Wednesday 29 February 2012

#35- Long Days

So much for 8 degrees today, maybe without the windchill and if the sun was out. Maybe then. Hah!
I don't like complaining about the weather, but with Eric working longer shifts, being able to go for a walk to the park without everything being wet or too cold is a necessity for my sanity these days.
We were rather spoiled a few days ago I guess with a perfectly sunny, spring-like day, gorgeous weather, kids played at the park and we all got some sun and fresh-as-it-gets-in-London air. 
Long days these are...Isaac has been waking up earlier and earlier it seems. Today was better, 7am; but he wakes up in the worst of moods. I don't know if he is not feeling well lately or if it is just the beginnings of the 'terrific twos'. 
The latest has been SCREEAAAMING fits. We just came back from story-time at the library (I thinking maybe he just needed to get out of the house and be around other kids) and all was well until it was time to go and he had to put down the toy trains...and, oh heavens! the screaming! And even though most of the people in the small library were parents, its still quite embarrassing. you know everyone is watching you to see how you will react. And I can just see the moms whose babies are still little and sweet thinking "tch tch, MY sweet little snootie won't ever turn out like THAT little boy. His mummy must not understand just what he needs". Yes...I remember thinking that too...
I maintained my cool and took him right outside to put on his coat and boots because screaming and flailing in a library while trying to dress him is not good for anyone.
We are yet to see full-blown tantrums, but he's come close. My ears are currently ringing and I fear for poor little Rosie who just hunkers down and flinches as he screams. There is not always a reason, lately though it has been over EVERYTHING, if I say no, if I take him to the potty, if I give him something he doesn't want, if I turn my attention to Rosie. (Surprisingly, he doesn't do it when I put him down for a nap or to bed, in fact lately he's been rubbing his eyes and saying "Mama. I'm TIRED! Tired, mama!" Probably from all that screaming....)
Yes, yes I know, all part of finding his voice and expressing his individuality; I got it. It's still frustrating to no end!
We've tried many tactics, but most things just cause him to do it more, especially saying stop or pleading that it hurts our ears, I admit I even smacked his hand once. And oh that look...
My neighbour (3 kids under age 8) advised I simply put him in his room and let him scream till he is playing quietly. This has by far been the only thing to do. Though he rarely gets to the point where he plays quietly, and even when he does within a half hour of being fine and happy and out of his room, he starts it up again! I know it's an attention thing more than anything, or just pent up frustration, but it still has to be dealt with, and trust me, after a certain number of hours is very, very difficult to ignore completely.

It's trying times with Isaac right now, and hard to see him going through at the same time as hard for me to deal with! I get very frustrated at Isaac, but at the same time feel bad for him, especially when I lose my cool or raise my voice or just ignore him when he seems to need guidance because I'm afraid of losing my cool.
I look at Rosie and think "ah those were the days! So easy and blameless!" haha. Every reason Rosie is difficult is because my lack of attending to her needs. I can't say the same thing about Isaac, even when all his needs are met, he can be difficult.
I'm just repeating myself now. 
Anyway, under all this he is still of course a wonderful, sweet boy, he's doing so well with others and playing with his sister, and learning new things. He is also starting to show me more affection which is really nice, for awhile there he had 'given me up' you could say and become quite the daddy's boy, and while he still is, he seems to be really enjoying time and wanting time with me more and not just because he's whiny or tired.
Anyway! That's a rant. If any of you reading this have had similar experiences with your toddler, (especially ear-piercing screaming) and have any ideas or advice, they would be welcome!
Currently the house is ever so still as both babes are napping, a good break for me to start again when they wake up with renewed patience!

A friend recently said something along the lines of this to me the other day..
"So, I didn't know you actually don't DO anything all day..."



The only thing you can say to that is a good hearty laugh.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh, poor you.
    I have no advice, other then giving him his way all the time which will assuredly shut him up AND spoil him, so I dont recommend that.

    Annnnd your friends comment! HAHAHAHA!
    Don't do anything except develop and educate the minds of the future, that's what!

    ReplyDelete