Thursday 2 February 2012

#30- Point to ponder

I receive daily marriage tips via email and this one stuck out to me, not just for marriage but in many other aspects as well. 


"Author Stephen Covey tells the story of a teacher that uses rocks as a part of a teaching. 
He starts with several big rocks and puts them in a jar.  
He asks the class if the jar is full.  Many say yes, but then he starts pouring gravel over the big rocks and it filters in.  
He asks the class if the jar is full and they begin to catch on.  It's not full.  
The teacher then pours in water.  What is the point of this demonstration?  Someone suggests that there is always room for more in your life.  
Eventually the teacher makes the point that if he hadn't put the large rocks in first there would have been no room for them.  If you make a place for the big stuff first, the little stuff will naturally filter in around it.
If you will make time and room in your life for the most important things first, your life will have the direction and meaning you want it to have.  Don't let your days run away with you without a little planning.  Plan for time with your husband."http://www.the-generous-wife.com/

I do find myself sometimes putting the big things on hold, maybe because I know they will be there for me when I come back, maybe because I care too much about who will take care of the little things, but this 'parable' holds very true when I think about my own experiences. 
It's not just saying they are your priorities; your 'Big Things'
It's making that an action.
Desire does not lead to action, you must make a decision.

1 comment: