Sunday 22 April 2012

#41- just a rant away

I borrowed a book from my sister about organizing your kitchen and menu.
It drew me in with it's relevant and humourous  tales and inspiring words of how easy it is to have control over your life again just by cleaning and organizing and 3x5 cards...
And I was all into it, and then it started telling me I had to have a plan and sit down and write out stuff and I promptly lost interest, organized a few things in the kitchen, and wiped the counters, and I feel great. (they actually had a name for me in that book...as I read on later, it's called 'the sidetracker')
A dear friend recently assured me that there was nothing wrong with plopping down in front of a screen at the end of a day, as long as- you know- I cleaned up something or what-not to feel self-fulfilled. (This quote was by a young man. Just trying to be helpful:)


I like to think that self fulfillment and a good satisfying end to a day doesn't mean sweeping the floor and watching tv shows. So I've been trying to DO different things throughout the day that aren't on my to-do list. I tried yoga the other night, only to discover that the only difference between the moves I was making directed by an instructor and the moves I make while having a dance party with the kids are:
1:  there's an impossibly skinny as well as overly busty woman in necessary spandex underwear telling me that I CAN BE JUST LIKE HER if I complete these moves every day for 30 minutes
2: I look 10x more ridiculous doing it on my own than with the kids
3: It is 10x more painful because I'm not having fun and it is in fact the END of the day when I should be relaxing


Now for the record, nothing's wrong with exercise. Some people like the steps and the rock-ab woman motivating them on, or the intentions of doing this specifically to feel better and look better brings them satisfaction and relaxation!
But I just don't have that kind of motivation. I've tried jogging, and I hated it, though I find that when I'm running after Isaac down the sidewalk as he squeals with laughter or if I'm running after a frisbee in the park I don't even notice I'm 'excercising' though it's the same moves really...
When I throw Rosie up in the air over and over and over again and then of course Isaac needs a turn, sure my muscles get tired but I take a break then do it again and I don't really think about it toning my arms.
When I wash the floors or pick up the toys at the end of a day (which can take half an hour if not more at times) I am basically doing who knows how many 'squats' and 'downward dogs' as I reach to find a granola bar under the couch (or is it a mouse? No. Just a dusty granola bar)


Now just so I don't sound too snobby (or lazy) I would like to try stretching exercises again. I hear that proper stretching can really make a difference in your day and the many physical things I do. While a 30 minute session watching some babe who has plenty of time to strut around the beach lookin' good (for what..I don't really know. Yes I do) isn't really for me, we should always be open to learning, and I have noticed that proper stretching leads to less sore muscles at the end of a day.
So Isaac, Rosie and I have developed a morning stretch routine! I am their hot-mama instructor in my jeans and t-shirt and spare tire in case the other goes flat (or maybe I'll lend it to that poor yoga instructor. she doesn't look very cuddly) complete with music "bend, and streeetch and reeeeeeach to the starrs!.."
And we're all feelin' great. 
Ok. Now I'll write a cutesy post about nature and babies



1 comment:

  1. LOL!!! I love the way you write Tessa. This made me laugh as I see myself in it 100%
    ;)

    ReplyDelete